St. Peter’s Hospital Association
The St. Peter’s Hospital Association is a volunteer organization that was formed in 1921 to support St. Peter’s in providing healthcare services. Association members volunteer their time in the hospital’s Gift Shop, with the hospitality cart, and at the Gala and other hospital events.
Association meetings are held at 10 a.m. the first Wednesday of September, November, January, March, and May at a hospital conference room. The Association’s annual events include a membership tea in the Fall, sock sew in December, Valentine luncheon in February, and annual meeting in May.
All the money raised by the Association is given to the Hospital and every year the Association membership votes on how to allocate the funds raised to support priority needs at St. Peter’s. Since its inception, the Association has raised more than one-half million dollars for hospital services.
Memberships are $10. Those interested in membership may complete the form at the bottom of this page or contact Betty Brown at 442-4622 for more information.
By the time the first St. Peter’s was finished in 1887, the first “lady visitors” had been organized by Henrietta Brewer and Mrs. A.M. Holter. These ladies made weekly inspections of the hospital, offering suggestions for improvements, doing the cooking and cleaning and sewing blankets and bandages to equip the early hospital.
In 1921, members of this group officially formed St. Peter’s Hospital Association.
On December 26, 1921, the first Charity Ball fundraiser was organized by the Association.
Over the next four decades the Association’s charity balls and annual membership teas raised funds to help equip the growing hospital. From horses and buggies to automobiles and modern equipment
In 1950, Mrs. A.T. Hibbard, a long-time Association member, made a generous gift to create a fund for hospitalized hospital employees. Later, with the advent of employer sponsored health insurance, this gift became the genesis of the Association’s Trust Fund.
The Association’s annual efforts drew the attention of others interested in supporting local hospital care. In 1951, Mrs. Augusta Kohrs made a $10,000 bequest for care of elderly patients….today that single bequest is worth more than a half million dollars and provides tens of thousands of dollars of care to patients at SPH every year.
By the late 1950’s the Association Tea was firmly established as a Helena event
In 1967 an Association Trust Fund was created with $40,000 from Association fundraising and Mrs. Hibbard’s gift. Today the Association trust fund is worth over one half million dollars and is a perpetual source of funding for care provided by St. Peter’s.
In 1968 the Association was instrumental in helping raise funds for the construction of the “new” St. Peter’s Hospital on Broadway. They were the official tour guides when the hospital first opened for the community.
But it was in 2005 through 2010 that the Association made its single largest gift. The Critical Care Campaign, organized by St. Peter’s Hospital Foundation, was the first capital campaign since the mid 1960s. It sought a minimum of $3 million for the construction of the new Intensive Care Unit and Emergency Department. The Association made the largest lead gift to this campaign, $250,000, at the crucial early stages, helping insure a successful campaign.
Today, the Association continues its proud heritage of support for our community’s hospital, St. Peter’s. Whether through volunteering in the hospital, raising funds and awareness through the annual Membership Tea and St. Peter’s Foundation Gala (the child of the Charity Balls of yore) or providing comfort to hospitalized patients with the annual Christmas sock sew, Association members continue to make a difference.
|Association Membership Application||83.31 KB|